Three Must-Haves For Highly Successful GigCX Agents
Our extremely talented GigCX agents are the lifeline of ShyftOff. Their expertise and love for supporting customers help brands deliver exceptional customer service daily.
Three must-haves we look for in rockstar GigCX agents include:
- Effective soft skills
- Compliant at-home equipment
- Self-driven and motivated
What is a GigCX agent?
A "gigCX" agent is a customer service agent who works freelance or contract to provide customer support for a specific company or organization. Most GigCX agents work from home or a remote location and typically use their equipment and internet connection to communicate with customers through phone, email, chat, or social media.
How do GigCX agents work in a traditional contact center model?
GigCX agents who work in a traditional contact center are typically part of a hybrid model, which combines conventional in-house customer support teams with remote gigCX agents. With a GigCX model, companies can leverage the benefits of both models. They can rely on their in-house team as subject matter experts who help lead GigCX agents. GigCX agents can support contact center overflow or after-hours support.
In hybrid GigCX models, GigCX agents work alongside in-house agents. Contrary to the misconception that GigCX agents replace traditional in-house agents. GigCX agents leverage the same tools, systems, and processes. Some businesses may elect to have GigCX agents handle specific channels or expand their omnichannel with additional support.
The key difference between GigCX agents and in-house agents is how they are paid. GigCX agents operate as contractors, whereas in-house agents are typically W-2 employees.
Companies that leverage a GigCX model effectively establish communication and collaboration platforms to enable agents to work together in real-time. For GigCX agents to be successful, they need resources for knowledge sharing and access to the same systems with historical customer data to provide the right resolution to customer challenges.
What are three requirements every GigCX agent should have?
Strong Soft Skills
The best customer support agents have strong soft skills. GigCX agents need to excel at these skills to be effective in their roles.
- Communication skills: They must listen actively to customers' concerns, explain solutions clearly, and build rapport with customers.
- Empathy: GigCX agents need to empathize with frustrated, upset, or confused customers and respond in a compassionate and helpful way.
- Problem-solving skills: They need to identify the root cause of the issue and develop practical solutions that meet the customer's needs.
- Time management: GigCX agents need to manage their time effectively to satisfy their self-selected schedule and handle multiple customer inquiries simultaneously.
- Adaptability: GigCX agents must adapt to customer needs, company policies, and technology changes. They should be open to feedback and willing to learn and improve their skills.
- Professionalism: They should be able to maintain a positive and helpful attitude, even in challenging situations.
- Teamwork: GigCX agents need to work effectively with others to provide a seamless and consistent customer experience.
Compliant At-Home Equipment
The specific equipment and software required for gigCX agents to work from home can vary depending on the company and the nature of the work. However, in general, gigCX agents typically need the following equipment to work from home:
- Computer: A reliable laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone for video and audio calls. The computer should be up-to-date with the latest operating system software to ensure best performance.
- Headset: A headset is key to any work-from-home setup for agents. The headset should have noise-canceling features to reduce background noise and provide a clear audio experience.
- Internet connection: A speedy and reliable internet connection is required for GigCX agents. While a hard-wire connection is preferred, a computer system connected to Wi-Fi also works. Internet speeds should be reliable enough to handle voice and video calls.
- Ergonomic workstation: A comfortable and ergonomic workstation is important for gigCX agents to work safely and efficiently from home. The workstation should have a comfortable chair, a desk at the right height, and good lighting to reduce eye strain. Good lighting is also required for video calls. Agents can use a greenscreen or video conferencing background images to eliminate distractions.
Self-Motivated and Self-Driven
As remote workers, GigCX agents face unique challenges, such as isolation and lack of social interaction. As a result, they need to have strong self-discipline to stay productive. It’s crucial for GigCX agents to have experience working on gig-based work or contractor work to be successful in this role.
GigCX agents have the flexibility to create their own schedules. Being motivated to learn the processes and systems of new clients is key to ensuring they have the greatest opportunity to earn money working with various brands.
GigCX agents must also be self-driven. Considering they don’t work in person with other agents, they must be driven to identify solutions or ask questions to help better serve their customers. Self-driven GigCX agents must also be willing to define their own training schedule as most GigCX agents are tried through on-demand learning.
Being a GigCX agent can be a rewarding gig opportunity for customer support agents or those looking for flexible work. GigCX models are becoming the norm for most contact centers, leading to a demand for qualified GigCX agents.
If you’re interested in becoming a ShyftOff Flex agent. Check out our Agents page for more.
If you’re a company looking to adopt a GigCX model, chat with our team today about getting started.